Call the Learning Space Support service desk: 834 47064
If equipment or desktop software fails during a scheduled class/event/meeting in a shared teaching space or common meeting room, or you require urgent advice about using the equipment/software, immediate assistance is available by calling the Learning Space Support (LSS) service desk (extension 47064). In some cases, we are able to resolve problems very quickly over the telephone. Where necessary, a support consultant will visit the space.
Our extension number is displayed on presenter tables/lecterns. Phones are installed on/near theatre lecterns and presenter tables in e-seminar rooms, eLearning studios and learning suites.
Immediate assistance is available during our standard service hours (excluding University holidays), which are:
- 8am - 6.30pm Monday to Friday during semester
- 9am - 5pm Saturday during semester
- 8.30am - 5pm Monday to Friday outside semester.
During periods of peak demand, your call may be re-directed to the mobile phone of a roving support consultant... Please hold the line when this happens.
Our service target is to respond to your call within 15 minutes. Response is defined as the presence of a support consultant at the actual venue (where necessary).
In some teaching spaces, when a data projector globe fails, it may be some hours before LSS can replace it, for the following reasons related to EHS compliance:
- The data projector is ceiling mounted and access is only possible when the theatre is completely empty and scaffolding and/or ladders have been erected
- Two staff members are required to undertake this activity to ensure safe working practices
- LSS will not erect ladders or scaffolding while there are students remaining in the theatre
- LSS will always seek to change the data projector globe at the earliest possible opportunity, same business day, subject to timetable constraints
- Where possible, LSS and Timetabling will move any affected classes to a shared teaching space with a similar multimedia configuration.
It is our policy to install data projectors at the rear of theatres in easily accessible locations, or, to install data projector lifts to minimise use of ladders and scaffolding, where practicable within the constraints of the architectural design of the theatre shell. Implementation of this policy is given highest priority within the limits of available capital budget.